I am usually in a rush to do things. It seems I'm always thinking of what I need to do next instead of paying attention to what I'm doing now. Today I realized that there are times I'm rushing through the good things in life. Jack has had a cold the last couple of days, so we've been staying in, hoping to not share it with the rest of the world. I got out the finger paints for him because we watched WAY too much Clifford and Curious George yesterday. In the past, he has painted for about 5 minutes before declaring to me that he is finished. Today, he really enjoyed it. He didn't ask to stop. He'd run out of paint, and tell me he needed more. I'd squeeze some more onto his paper, each time saying "Okay Jack, this is the last batch, after this we're going to be done." He asked me to paint with him, and I did. I can't figure out why I was so ready to get that project cleaned up and move on to the next one. I didn't have a "next one" planned. It was nice to just enjoy that time with Jack. We both needed it. I know it's easier said than done, but I'm going to work on enjoying my time in the present, because each moment is only that, a moment. Sounds cheesy, but it's true. I know I'll enjoy life more, be a better mom, and a better wife if I just take the time to ENJOY life, instead of worrying about what needs to be done next.
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I love those kind of moments. Gracie loves to finger paint with pudding, ever tried that?
I'm glad you posted this, because I am exactly like in this respect. I am a planner and am always ready to move on to the next thing on the to do list. I'm glad you reminded me to savor the moment!
I am so like that too. I have to remind myself all the time to just enjoy my moments with Taylor because she is growing up so quickly. A time will come when she will no longer be a child and I don't want to regret missing out on precious moments with her.
So true! It's good to be reminded of that every now and again. I'm sorry I haven't called you back yet! It's been a crazy week. Hopefully I'll catch you tomorrow!
So true! I think all moms feel this way sometimes. It's so important to remember to cherish these moments and spend time with our babies while they still think the world revolves around us. It changes too soon. In fact, it's already changing for Brad - he'd rather go outside with his friends than hang with me anymore. It's a good thing I guess, but it's hard. So, I definitely believe in letting the cleaning wait, because our babies won't.
We need to hang out soon - let me know when you're feeling better! I feel bad we keep missing you when you're here at the park! Call me soon. :-)
Post a Comment